The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to employers to create new 6-month job placements for young people who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment.
What you’ll get
The funding covers:
- 100% of the National Minimum Wage (or the National Living Wage depending on the age of the participant) for 25 hours per week for a total of 6 months
- associated employer National Insurance contributions
- employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
Employers can pay a higher wage and for more hours but the funding will not cover this.
Further funding is available to provide support so that young people on the scheme can get a job in the future.
You’ll get £1,500 funding per job placement. This is for setup costs and to support the young person to develop their employability skills. If someone else helps you to do some of this for you, you’ll have to agree how you will share this money.
Job placement criteria
For each job placement, you must help the young person become more employable. This could include:
- looking for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals
- support with curriculum vitae (CV) and interview preparations
- developing their skills in the workplace
The job placements must:
- be a minimum of 25 hours per week, for 6 months
- pay at least the National Minimum Wage or the National Living Wage for the employee’s age group
- only require basic training
The job placements created with Kickstart Scheme funding must be new jobs. They must not:
- replace existing or planned vacancies
- cause existing employees, apprentices or contractors to lose work or reduce their working hours
How to apply
You can apply for a Kickstart Scheme grant by either:
- applying online yourself
- getting help from a Kickstart gateway who is already working with the Kickstart Scheme
Everyday People Profiles
Profile listings are not endorsements. All businesses are unique, and our needs vary, so we can't give personalised recommendations.
We highlight the information you need to decide what's right for you and your business. As well as do our best to ensure those featured on Everyday People are passionate about helping businesses thrive.